Friday, January 18, 2013

final push #5 or Fear Factor

I have put my question out to the "Hive" at the Elizabethan Costume facebook group.  This group of people are some of the best minds, or most involved in the making of Renaissance Clothing.  I got over 49 responses.  The experts mostly concur that no one really knows why.  There are theories.  But it was reported that even the people who restored this dress do not know why it was done.  But the fact remains  "It was done" in period.

So now I need to head down stairs.  Take a deep breath, and do this.  I have 1 1/4 inch to use for the hem.  If I sew on a Bias Hem facing I will then have one inch to make the tuck.  The tuck in the Pisa dress starts about 5 inches from the center, on each side of course.    It is hard to tell actual dimensions from the pictures alone.  It could be more.  But that is where I will start.  I need to unsew the center edge.  The use another 5 inches to get the full depth of the tuck to one inch. Then "Horrors" cut the hem and taper from where the tuck reaches one inch done to zero then the five inches to the center.  Once I've done this there is no going back.  The skirt panels are straight, but the hem has some curve to it.  A dry run of pinning this up is called for. 

Back to the Sewing room.  "Typing on the Blog is actually an avoidance of work"

No comments:

Post a Comment