Tuesday, January 15, 2013

smocked apron


 
Needed to take a break from "The Dress".  Will begin work back tomorrow, when the snow is falling,

I decided to make a smocked apron.  I had lots of beautiful white linen I bought at Pennsic.  So since it was out on the cutting board, why not.  I also wanted something to present at the Athena's Thimble Guild meeting at Birka.  Smocking is a category I do not have.  I like the Honeycomb smocking.  So I cut one out Sunday.  The directions I had called for 1/4" pleats.  I though on that and said, Too small.  That would be OK if I was doing a different smocking stitch.  I went with a 1/2" pleat, and so like the look.  This is perfect.  All I have left to do is the hand stitching on the waist band and ties.  I machine stitched the side and bottom hem.  The smocking is done with Linen thread.  I have lots of that for my Bobbin Lace.  One tip I read said "use Linen because it will not slip while smocking".  This made perfect sense to me.  When I make Linen thread Lucet cords for my dresses, the Linen is tough to pull because it does not slip easily.  Also Linen is correct for period. 

Back to my Mundane world.  Making a hugh pot of Spaghetti Sauce - Italian Sausage/onion.  Using jars of tomatoes I canned last summer.  This will make a wonderful sweet sauce.   Also have 6 pds. of hamburg/pork/and ground turkey.  This will be mixed up to make Meatballs.  I have always dusted them with floor and pan fried my meatballs.  More work, but the crusty outside of the meatball makes them hold up well when added to the sauce.  Most of these meatballs will be bagged in 1/2 dozen batches and frozen.  So won't lot of the Sauce.  So come bad weather days, it's go to the freezer time. 
This is my Bobby favorite thing I cook ahead.  When I'm away at events etc he is all set.  He LOVES spaghetti  and meatballs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment