Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Update 12/20/11

Well I can see I'm not going to be a daily blogger. 

Project 1. Italian Ren dress.  Have been working on the sleeves for the Italian Ren dress.  The Runched or gathered Sleeves on theis what I'm trying to do.  These are large gathered tops to the sleeves.  Doing them in the same Heavy Cream Linen as the Kirtle, and the under sleeves are of a dark gold silk type material.  This is presenting several problems.  The pattern I'm using as a guide is from Reconstruting History.  This gives me the basic shape, but not how to make it happen.  I have gathered the top of the sleeve onto the undersleeve.  I have gathered the bottom onto a small band, the size of the arms.  There are two gather lines inbetween to give the runch look.  But the sleeve sages down, after the gather lines are tightened.  I think I will have to place small vertical bands extending from the top to the bottom band, and anchor the inbetween gathers to these.  Plan to try this in the morning.  I think one of the problems is that the material is heavy, or heavier then the undersleeve.  But when I work on the actual dress, the cream linen is a dress rehersal, the Brocade will be just as heavy.  So in short the top of these sleeves will need a support structure to come out looking like the portrait.
Project two - linen Coif  Getting near the end of the second part of the embroidery.  The small shading stitches.  Had gone on line to Reconstructing History to order the paillettes for the cap.  Problem, I was only able to get one package of size 14.  For some reason the sizes and size numbers are mixed up on there web site.  Also most of them are Sold out.  I am hoping they will get more in.  I went on line to try and buy some from other sources, with NO LUCK.  Either there were to large - 20 mm or .78 inches, or had top holes, not center holes.  The only site that may have them was in Australia, and to order from them, mail an order sheet.  Didn't sound very good.  Hoping that RH shows up at Birka, and I can get some from them there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment