Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Coif

After two plus years of work, I have finished my Coif.

I had seen these patterns on Reconstructing History's web site.  I was not sure what they actually were, but I was intrigued.  I had been looking at Janet Arnold's new book of Accessories, and had seen this coif that was monochromatic.  I liked it.  I was heavily into Blackwork, and this was curvilinear blackwork in red, or so I thought.  Then I was shopping at Birka, and there at the RH booth were the patterns.  So I got to look at them.  I said, hey I can do this.  No problem.  So I bought three different ones, and - innocent me - figured I could knock these off in no time.  Two years later, what I have learned.
Finding a picture of the actual Coif at the Victoria and Albert Museum web site was a bonus.  The V&A site lets you download very high definition pictures.  These I can then crop or cut and past to a Word page, blow it up, and see the details.  With this in hand I was able to figure out the exact stitches used.  I used this picture also to guide me as to how to shade them with the speckling stitch.  This stitch I had to teach myself the best way to do it.  At first I tried to do it from the front as just very small running stitch, but the best way ended up putting it into a hoop and doing a up and down small stitch.  Monotonous to do, but brain calming.  I could sit for a long time and just work.  The outline and stems were more fun to do.  After doing so much stitching, I now have very nice even spacing and tension.

I did documentation for a competition this weekend.  It is for Athena's Thimble, the SCA Embroidery Guild.  I also approach this with the feeling, "what should I say".  It's an Embroidered Coif.  They know what it is, I know what it is, so what do I say.  Somehow I always find two pages to say.  Hopefully it is enough/correct/understandable etc.  I know what I mean.  Oh well.

Next I want to work on some smaller projects.  One is a gold thread blackwork collar & cuffs to go on Bob's new shirt for his outfit.  Looking at what he (Henry VIII) wore, but Holbein's portrait is not clear.  So the Blackwork at that time was Geometric in shape, so I'm thinking using this pattern from Hans Hofer book from the 1500's that Linn Skinner has figured out. It has acorns in the pattern.  And the pattern is not too wide, so the size will be right.  Have matched the thread, and ordered the Splendor Gold Silk from Nordic Needle.  Waiting for it to come in.

Other projects I want to start on.  Lacis.  Applique.  and Canvas work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment