Thursday, March 7, 2019

12th Century Bliaut

This years 12th night event was to be set in 12th Century France.  I decided to make a Bliaut to wear.  I did it from my usual, this will be easy, point of view.  After doing fitted English clothes, this should be easy, it's only rectangles.  As usual I Was Wrong.
The first rule was, the material had to come from stash.  Everything but the brown silk come from it, so a Win.  Some items have been in stash for 15 + years.
I chose a very light (tropical) weight yellow wool for the gown.  This had a nice flow to it. To give more structure to the neck line I used a heavy weight silk.  This was perfect.  I used this silk for the lining of the sleeves also.  In my stash was some old trim to make the sash. The base color of the trim was blue, but the brown from the silk was in it.  This added a third color, and blended/contrasted nicely.
Fitting was a case of measure me, measure the material, back and forth.  I did not have a pattern, just a diagram as to parts.  Mostly it was rectangles. The sides I did not close, but folded the material in to pull in the waist, added lacing holes (had to reinforce them with a strip of linen inside the folded material).   I did set in sleeves, as I look terrible in square sleeve tops.  The wool was almost sheer, so I made a sleeveless linen chemise to wear under it.  I tried to add a blue silk sleeve to the chemise, but won't work, so added them to the gown.  Thus fake under tunic of blue silk.  Made the look.
Added a veil, had a silk one in my collection and jewelry.  Made a head piece to wear over the veil with the sash trim.  The sash trim was sewed onto belting material, had enough to cover both sides of belting material.  Added three heavy gold beads for weights at the end of each sash, to make it hang properly.
Was very happy with results.







No comments:

Post a Comment