Thursday, March 7, 2019

Brown Wool Fitted English Gown


Next up is a Brown Velvet trimmed English Fitted Gown.  On this gown I decided to try my hand at pad stitching.  I had purchased the Modern Maker Books to learn how to make my upper parts of gowns more authentic.

The pad stitching is done to reinforce the shoulder area of a Doublet or Gown.  Since I had never done this, Had known of it for many years, decided to up my game and give it a try.





A lot of stitching to do the pad stitching.  It's hard to see because I used the first thread I reached, which was a pale gold color, so does not show up well.  I had some cream colored wool felt in my stash, which I used for the interlining.  The brown wool was a medium weight (not heavy weight) which did not have a lot of structure of its own.  It worked well for the skirts, flowed.  But the combination worked OK together for the upper.  I also added a layer of linen canvas, which I pad stitched the wool felt too.  

I lined the gown with a cream colored silk (poly) lining, with a tone on tone fleur-de-lees embroidered into it.  
What I learned.  This does give a lot more structure to the top of the coat.  Not totally happy with the front edges of this Gown.  With the padded interlining it seems too thick.  The lining is blooming at the inside edge, and shows much more then I like.  If I was to do this again, I would shave down the edge of the interlining, so it would not be so thick.  Or I may use a wool fabric which is stiffer and not as thick.  Material choices are always important.

No comments:

Post a Comment