Saturday, August 11, 2018

1st pair of gloves




So I traced out my hand on paper, then cut it out of scrape linen.  Some quick stitches up the thumb and side, and tried it on.  Could not get my hand into it.  You have to allow extra room for the thickness of the hand.  First lesson learned.
Redrew the hand adding and extra inch everywhere.
I cut this out from some wool fabric I had.  I could get into these for sure.  Actually they are too big.  But that was OK, This is learning.  The pattern I am using has me doing a U channel between the fingers.  This is a standard glove channel.  Later I will do a more difficult style of between the finger channel.
The hardest part is finishing off the tips of the fingers.  Once I have finished these they I made a cuff from some material .  As these are wool I would eventually detach the cuff, turn the seams inside, reattach the cuff and add trim.  But the gloves are soo big, My husband now owns a nice pair of period gloves to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment