Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Black Velvet outfit - Maunche





The panels of blackwork above are for sleeves to be added to a partlet with blackwork collar I have.  I have taken these panels with me everywhere to work on them.  The most exotic spot was on a two Masted Schooner I sailed on off the coast of Turkey for a week.  The boat took us out to Malta, a wonderful spot where the Crusader stopped on their way to the Holyland.  The old fort and Halls of the different Knights, with their Heraldry are still there.  
Of course, once I had attached the sleeves, I needed an outfit to wear it with, soooooo



Black velvet Bodice based on pattern from Margo Anderson's Historical Patterns.  Bodice is closed in the front by numerous hooks and eyes.  Underskirt has a fore skirt of the Deco Fabric previously seen. which looks like stamped velvet.  Overskirt and Bodice is out of Rayon Velvet.  Sewing on that stuff is like working on moving water.  You have to use lots of pins.  This outfit is loosely based on a painting of Lady Mary Grey.  Someday I may add strips of Blackwork to the Partlet itself, to complete the look.

I finished this outfit just in time.  Unbeknown to me I was called up in court at Fall Coronation (2014) and awarded my Maunche. This is an award for excellence in the Arts and Sciences given by the East Kingdom, Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA).  This scroll was made by Baroness Nest Verch Tangwistle, and is entirely embroidered.  WOW.  



No comments:

Post a Comment