Saturday, August 11, 2018

New Outfit for Coronation


I decided to make a new outfit for Coronation in Spring 2016.  I made an English comfort gown, with a loose gown over.  The materials are not perfect "period" but it is hard to find or afford "perfect" period fabric.  
The Comfort gown is a pattern by Margo Anderson Historical Patterns.  I use patterns mostly as guidelines.  I have never actually cut these patterns, but they help me to understand the shape I need.  The front panel, the only one where you would use the "fancy" material, has the look of a stamped velvet. The sleeves are three panel sleeves out of the same material, pinched together about every 3 inches, so the chemise can be puffed thru.
The loose gown is out of a really "bad" novelty fabric.  But it looks great.  It looks like cut velvet on cloth of gold.  Well I can imagine.  The coat is lined with a gold silk(ish) fabric with black Fleur-de-lis.  Coat is edge with black trim, this also helps keeping the edges from rolling.
The Loose gown is actually and old Butterick pattern.  I have owned this pattern for maybe 20 years, from my early Ren Faire days, and used it for a previous out fit. You can find very authentic patterns within the Big Three patterns (Simplicity, Butterick, McCall).  This is good for novice sewers.  There is often just small changes you need to make to the pattern, to make it more authentic.  This is one of them.  It is period, except it calls for a front facing.  You can easily adjust this pattern to "period" by eliminating this facing and bringing the lining all the way to the front edge.  I decided because of the nature of the novelty fabric (it wanted to shred) I used a self facing with interfacing for stiffness.  Was a good decision.  This may not have been perfect Period construction, but out fit passed the 10 foot rule, for sure.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment