Monday, August 13, 2018

3rd pair of gloves a charm, and first leather pair.





The third pair of gloves I completed (bottom pair above) finally fit like they should.  I had added too much to my second pair (top pair above,  the look the same size due to camera angle).  These became my husbands gloves.  I only needed to add extra width on the sides.  Between the fingers you have a gusset, and didn't need the extra length (cut that off). These two are all made of wool, the cuffs of a heavy Deco fabric, and some JoAnn's lace or trim on edge.  Also the cuff shape, bottom pair, now resembles those on Elizabeth 1's gloves.  I added a layer of buckram to the cuffs for shape.  Sewing the cuff on is not straight forward.  You must sew it on both the outside then inside.  I guess I could have just gone thru, like a sewing machine, but that did not seem right to me.


Next step was to work in leather.  I have a very nice leather outlet about and hour's drive, Tandy Leather, and it is not hard to convince my husband to go on a field trip with me.  HAHA.   I got to feel all the different hides.  Ended up with a nice suede in tan.  Most of my reading said Tan was the most common glove color.  (Of course mine did not end up plain/simple, one of my problems.)  So I bought glovers needles and different twines for stitching. I was really on a learning curve here.  
I cut the leather out following the pattern I had developed for my third pair.  I am still using the U channel gusset between the fingers.  I experimented with two different ways of finishing off the finger tips.  One finger I brought them all sides to a point, the other I eased the side channel to a side point, with a flat top.  Second way was best.  Looks right.  I found the glovers needles easy to work with.  The are sharp on three sides, and pierce the leather easily (no outfit is complete without blood on it).  This was also not a thick leather.  You need strong fingers.  Found a thimble helpful, went thru many different types of them before I found one I liked.  A leather one on the pushing (middle) finger.  
I finished these off with a cotton velvet cuff, some cabochons and left over trim I had in the house.  For the first pair of leather, I think I did OK.   I can wear these come fall.     

No comments:

Post a Comment